Studio and Advertising photography
Advertising Photography is broad term for any kind of photography that will be used for a corporate campain indoor, outdoor or online. Most of the time the photos are shoot in a photo studio (e.g.: our studio Venus Five). Product photography, fashion photography or business portraits can be done both in a studio and at the client’s location.
When we do Advertising photography we need to:
- agree with the agency upon the Brief, so we’ll have the desired props, from background to accessories and clothes;
- to set the desired mood, starting from the moodboard and the message we’ll search for the most appropriate models, the location of the shoot, the light, make-up, the attitude etc.
- to show the brief to everyone involved and reconfirm their presence at the photoshoot.
If we’ll do the advertising photography in the studio we’ll have the advantages:
- neither the subject or the photographer are disturbed by outside elements during the photo session;
- the outfits and the make up are at hand;
- the light level is controlled: there are no unwanted lights or sudden changes in lighting (ex: outside the sun my enter the clouds);
- usually, in the case of studio photography, there is no time pressure (it can be done 24/7);
- it is quiet, and, if necessary, audio-video recordings are also possible.
The disadvantages of studio photography are:
- the backgrounds are limited;
- there are no “unlimited” props like in nature;
- special background, and big props can be difficult to switch;
- in the case of photographing perishable products it is better to photograph them at the clients location, this way damaged or unsuitable products can be replaced easily;
- in the case of products which are difficult to relocate, it is easier to photograph them on site.
The price and the length of advertising photoshoots
- the prices of advertising photoshoots are between 50EUR and 5000eur;
- there is no average duration; short photoshoots take ~1 day; long photoshoots can take from 2-3 days to one week;
- the editing will cost between 50-150 euro / photograph, depending on the complexity and number of frames.
Fashion photography / Studio Fashion photography
When taking fashion photography, the focus is on the clothes, not the model. It is the same in the case of beauty photography where the focus is on the body care product.
In the case of fashion photography, the model usually does not look at the camera, the item is the Hero of the photograph. Furthermore, models with too much personality are not desired, as they take away from the viewer’s focus on the product.
Also, when taking fashion photography, the post processing also focuses on the products while the model is less important.
When taking fashion photography it’s important:
- to have models who emphasize the items of clothing;
- if we want to take a large number of photographs, ideally there should be two models to allow shooting all the time;
- to avoid choosing models with strong personalities (and also avoid extreme expressions) that could take the focus away from clothes;
- to photograph really representative items of clothing that are flawless;
- to group the products that belong to the same category in order to save time;
- to take picture of both the whole product as well as details that stand out.
For more details regarding advertising photography or any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.