In product photography the subject of the photo is an item for sale. Even if sometimes the picture includes human models (fashion de advertising) the product should be focus of image.
Choosing a product that looks impeccable, shooting it from it’s best angle and on a plain background that adds value to the final image, creates the best image of the product for a potential client.
The products must be presented in an attractive manner (they should look good) but also functional (the size, shape and it’s other characteristics should be clearly visible).
The items can be photographed on a plexiglas table to see its reflection on the table or to be able light them from underneath, therefore removing any shadow.
Any product photograph will be post processed: contrast and luminosity adjustments, repairing the imperfections that were not observed at the time of the photographing, as well as, if necessary, clearing the background until it is 100% white etc.
In order to take product photography we need to know:
The scope of the photographs
- where you want to use the photographs: online / outdoor commercial / catalogue / wrappers etc.;
- what is the main use of the photographs, depending on this we choose the correct background, the shooting technique, as well as the style of post processing;
The type of photographed products
- how big/small the products are (if they are big it is better to have the session at your location, if the products are very small, we need to bring special macro lenses and lights);
- how many products need to be photographed and how many photographs/product are needed – depending on the number, the time and price also vary;
- how shiny are the products – glass bottles, globes and aluminum products require special photography techniques (plexiglas table or photography tent).
Photo shoot at the client’s location
- we need a room of minimum 3x4m to set up the mini studio;
- we need at least 2 sockets of 220V, preferably grounded;
- we need a person who knows the products that will be photographed and can easily replace a damaged product;
- the quality of the photographs in location is the same as in the studio;
- the products need to be prepared and stored (preferably in order) next to the place where the mini studio will be set up;
- the products need to be clean, not damaged or with any major faults;
- it’s a good idea to make a list with all the products that are to be photographed and tick the ones that we’ve finished.
Price, duration of the photoshoot and the editing
- the average shooting price is 50EUR/hour.
- The cost of editing varies between 2 to 10 eur/product depending on the degree of complexity;
- the length of the session depends on the number of products and the number of photographs/product and of course the type of products;
- the selected photographs will be advanced retouching (a minim of 30 minutes / photography).
For more details regarding product photography or any questions please contact me.